Saturday, August 17, 2013

See you later, Uganda


Well I now write this post to you from the Amsterdam airport. I am halfway through my flight back home to Florida. With my six-hour layover, I have some time to attempt to compile my thoughts into a blog post. Words cannot describe how incredible it has been returning to Uganda. I just want to thank everyone again who has supported me, both financially and with your prayers throughout this trip.  From the very beginning, this trip has truly been about trusting in God and being faithful to the plans He has for my life. For me, I feel like God has really stretched me this time around. From stressful missed flights to just placing my safety in His hands in every situation, it has been a pretty incredible ride.

The hardest part of this experience is always the goodbyes. On Wednesday, I said goodbye to Mama Lucy. She is one of the mamas for the girls. I love this woman! Last summer, I dubbed her my African mother. She is so hardworking and has such a beautiful spirit. She is a great mama to the girls. I was thrilled to hear that she is expecting a precious little one of her own late November J I have nothing but admiration and respect for her. As she hugged me goodbye, she said, “ Auntie Brooke, no tears this time. You are a big girl now!” Such a typical Mama Lucy statement J All I can say is I will miss her dearly.


Yesterday, I said goodbye to the girls and boys. This time I did shed some tears, especially when saying goodbye to Mercy. As I hugged Alima and told her that I loved her and was going to pray for her, she asked “ Auntie, why are you crying? Are you sad?” I told her that these were happy tears and just a little bit sad too. It’s the truth. I am so happy and blessed to have had the privilege to spend a total of three months loving on these girls. I am grateful for the time I’ve had to be a part of their lives. They have blessed me a thousand times over. Alima was also kind enough to point out and say “Auntie Brooke… your tears are dirty.” I forgot to pack the waterproof mascara J

It’s hard for me to accept that I probably won’t be going back to Uganda anytime in the near future. It is still my desire to one day return and even have the opportunity to show my family Amani and this country I have fallen in love with. I know that at this time in my life, I am supposed to focus on continuing my nursing education and starting this next phase of my life. Uganda and Amani will always have a big part of my heart and that red clay isn’t going to rub off too easily J

 In the words of Lydia… “Auntie, its not goodbye… its see you later.”

No comments:

Post a Comment